Saturday, October 21, 2006

Food for lazy brains

George Gamow has published some really stimulating books on modern physics. They were available while I was at college in the early 1960s. If I had read them, physics would have been far more exciting and I would have been so much more enthusiastic about my studies:

But I didn't read them and was bored with physics and .....

I discovered Gamow's books this summer when I read The Constants of Nature by John D Barrow - and I only read that because I had enjoyed Barrow's collaboration with Frank J Tipler on The Anthropic Cosmological Principle (Oxford Paperbacks)

The good news is that I am now well and truly hooked by Roger Penrose's The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe and Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory. Let's hope that I haven't left it too late!

No comments: